Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Empty Nest Syndrome

Ok so it's not really empty nest syndrome because we do have Piper and Casper but I am starting to miss the pitter-patter of little feet in the house.  No, I am not referring to human babies ... canine ones.  I'm puppy hungry.  Piper is now five years old and after her surgery to remove breast lumps last summer she's become extremely dosile.  She hates water, gets tired from a 20 minute walk, and more or less likes to find a spot to curl up and sleep as close to me as possible.  I'm cool with that, don't get me wrong.  I love my little lap doggy and snuggling with her is one of my favorite things in the world but I want to be more active too so I need a more active doggy.  Casper is "Temption's" cat and always has been.  I'm not a cat person and I have to admit he's a cute little kitty cat but he's not really my idea of fun either.

I want a big doggy, one that's good in apartments, will walk/jog with me by day and curl up at my feet by night, loves to go swimming, and will play catch or fetch or...any game will do really.  Piper is smart, she can roll over like no body's business and gives high-fives and "Temptation" is teaching her how to catch food but she's never really grasped the concept of balls or frizbees or toys of any kind.  She likes to sniff things ... that's about it; biiiig time sniffer.

So I'm thinking of getting a Doberman Pinscher.  I've read up on the breed and they make great apartment dogs as long as they get plenty of exercise because they don't do well if left outside in bad weather.  They generally enjoy water, are extremely playful, loyal, protective, smart, and easy to train.  They're very social dogs that need lots of love and attention and contrary to popular belief they are not a "mean" breed (there's no such thing).  They're big, beautiful doggy's and if I get one as a puppy I can teach him to get along with the cat and with Piper.  "Temptation" is a carpet cleaner so I'm not afraid of potty training another puppy like I was with Pips (she was a stubborn, prissy little nightmare who hated to get her feet wet by walking on the grass to go potty so, for the longest time, she just preferred to do it in the house and accept her punishment).

I want a boy, Piper has always gotten along best with boy dogs.  I would prefer the good old fashioned black and tan color pattern too, though Dobes come in a lot of different colors ... I've always loved the black and tan look.  Wouldn't that be sweet?  I could take him to softball and to the lake and jogging and the dog park ... all places that Piper either hates to go or just wants to do nothing but sniff ... sniff EVERYTHING.  I know this sounds like a bash on Piper or like I'm trying to replace her, I'm really not.  I'm just thinking I'd like to get a dog that compliments her, that is strong in areas where she's not so much.  She'll always be my little cuddle buddy ... do parents feel this way when they start jonesing for baby number two or am I being neurotic?


Food:
7 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
2 cups prison soup (lunch)
2 Tuna Hand Rolls
>>Seaweed paper, rice, raw tuna, cucumber
1 Rainbow Roll
>>Seaweed paper, rice, crab, avocado
>>Raw tuna, yellow tail, salmon, shrimp
2 squared of chocolate (32 calories)
--------------------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,019



Activity:
3.5 freaking HOURS of shopping! (not fun)

Tomorrow's post will be all about tonight's shopping spree and it's got some really FUN news that I am totally stoked to share with all of you, even though the shopping itself sucked.  I think it was exactly what I needed to cure this slump; though I do still want a new puppy.

4 comments:

  1. I too some day would like another dog. But I have 2 pomeranians. I have always had poms even when i was growing up. I am a bit skidish around big dogs. But I do love labs and thinking one day i would love a lab. But our next dog will come from the pound. So we will just have to wait and see. My oldest is 12 and he is male and the youngest is 4 and female. I have to warn you. Male dogs are very hard to potty train.Mine still is NOT!!! He loves to mark!!! Yeah for carpet cleaners and lots of tile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm sushi!!!!
    I dont know about the puppy longing. Im totally happy and have my hands FULL with Odin (he's a year and a half old now, big beautiful pitty with 39 generation blood line!) but my husband keeps saying we should get ANOTHER pit bull puppy. OMG!!! :-D I think you should start puppy shopping and try not to feel guilty about piper. Honestly, maybe she'll perk up and have fun with the puppy herself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renea: Yeah we want to get a house later this summer when our lease is up so I'm thinking if we get a pup now and, hopefully, have him potty trained by the time we move then any damage he does to these carpets will be out of our hair when we move out; "Temptation" will clean them before we move, of course, but it would still be great to have him trained before we move into our own place.

    Ariel: I love that you named your dog Odin. I want to name my puppy Loki if I am able to get a boy. "Temptation" thinks we should name him "big Piper" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were stationed in Germany we rescued a white or ghost dobermann, she was really light tan almost greyish(basically looked like a weinmereriner)SP? We lived in an apartment and she was fine with that, very active and playful, loved to play tug of war with a rope toy, she was a rescue though and just didn't mix well with the kids, she was rehomed to a marine family whom didn't have children and has been delirously happy since. They bond very fast and are sometimes called velcro dogs because they love their owners so much, I find them to be lovely dogs and think you'll enjoy yours a lot. I don't know what your views on docking are, Nexus was initially undocked but due to happy tail in the kennel had to have her tail done right before we got her, the ears where left alone and she was soo much cuter, in my opinion, because of it, and less scary looking for people that had fear of the breed. If you do decide to get one I think you'll be happy, good luck!

    ReplyDelete