Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tracking Progress

We all know that my scale has been frustrating me with it's lack of evident progress and that I've stopped weighing for one month just to see what happens while maintaining my sanity.  Not knowing what will happen at the end of 30 days but knowing that I don't want my next weigh-in to be a huge disappointment, I feel like I've been more motivated than I was before to get up and move.  In doing so I realized something last night - a timeline of progress of a different sort presented itself to my psyche.

10 months ago I could barely walk up a flight of stairs or across a parking lot without getting winded.  7 months ago I had an exciting break through when I jogged from my parent's driveway to their side door and back again a few minutes later.  3 - 4 months ago I was elated to discover that I could sprint approximately half-a-block at a time before having to stop to catch my breath.  2 weeks ago I raced Snackers 1/8th of a mile across a park and an adjacent parking lot to our car and won.  Last night I sprinted a 1/4 of a mile with Vladdy to help him burn off some of the pent up energy he's had from being cooped up while we were at Snackers' football game.  In fact, were it not for the squats I'd done the day before, I probably could have taken a breather and ran some more last night but I'm feelin' those squats.  After taking Vladdy back home Snackers and I went to do our grocery shopping late last night when the store wasn't as busy as it usually is and my thigh muscles seized up in the car on the way there.  It was excruciating.

But they're just a little bit sore today, not overly painful, so I'm very surprised and pleased.  I may not be seeing a scale difference right now at this point in my life but I am seeing other differences.  Increased energy, stamina, and athletic ability.  Now when I buy an XL shirt it's because I like the comfort of a bigger shirt, not because it's the only size on the rack that I can get over my head.  I bought leggings last night off the discount rack without even trying them on ... and they fit perfectly this morning.  Our practices and games at night are starting to get cold so I pulled out last year's winter clothes the other day and discovered that NOTHING fit - at least not in a flattering way.  Everything was at least two sizes too big and baggy in places that did not look good.

I'm glad that I stopped weighing for a little while.  I needed this opportunity to remind myself that the scale isn't always the only measure of progress.  I do need to talk to my girl-doctor when I go in for my quarterly visit though.  I've been retaining water for weeks now - my fingers and toes are so swollen that they go numb sometimes and yet I am CONSTANTLY thirsty (you may have noticed that my intake has been consistently over 120 - 130 oz per day for awhile now) and I'm peeing every 30 minutes on average.  I would expect to not be retaining so much water given those circumstances but I am and it's not going away so I need to talk with her about what might be causing it and how I can get rid of it.





Food:
140 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 egg substitute omelette
>>w/spinach, mushroom, tomato
1 veggie sub
>>cucumber, lettuce, tomato, onion, sprouts
>>light squirt of light mayo
1/2 serving sunflower seeds
1 large pickle
----------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 926




Activity:
Kayaking!!!! 
(Details tomorrow.  Sorry, forgot to take pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment