Friday, October 28, 2011

Surpassing the Master

Some of you may remember that, among others, one reason I wanted a big dog was because I wanted a walking/jogging partner and Piper, my little dog, just can't keep up anymore in her old age with her short little Min-Pin legs.  Well I remember back to when we first got Vladdy and he was afraid to walk - I had to practically drag him along on those first two or three walks because everything scared him from cars to strollers and skateboards.  Then as he got older he loved to go on walks but he'd poop out on me rather quickly.  Remember when I had to carry him home on my shoulders because he laid down in the middle of the street and wouldn't get up earlier this summer?

Well he's nine months old now, weighs 80 lbs, and standing on his hind legs he's almost as tall as I am.  He's learned how to open his mouth and let me squirt water into it from the sport bottles on my water belt so it's easier to keep him hydrated on a walk but last night I realized that he has surpassed me in terms of energy and enthusiasm.

When we went running/walking together he was a VERY good boy.  He ran right next to me and when I started to slow down or stop he would do the same.  But it was obvious, once or twice, that he was frustrated with the fact that I can't run as fast as he can.  He wanted to go full-bore, all-out, as fast as he could run and I just can't ever hope to keep up with that speed - ever.  It's superhuman.  When I had to stop and rest he would stop and sit, instantly, right next to me like a good boy but then he'd start to whimper a bit in frustration because he wanted to keep going.  When I finally started walking instead of running (shin splints are going to be a huge problem) he walked with me but he had a spring in his step and a constant sense of alertness that suggested he was literally just waiting for me to start running again.  And when we got home and I put him out in the back yard to get some water he went nuts!  He sounded like a horse running around the back yard like a bat out of hell for over 20 minutes before he decided that he wanted to stop and eat his dinner.  Clearly I got what I wanted, a dog with more energy and stamina than Piper.  I had no idea that he would also have so much more energy and stamina than me.




Food:
120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 veggie sub
>>lettuce, onion, tomato, sprouts, peppers, cucumber
1 bowl of chilli with Frank's red hot
1 slice of Snackers' birthday cake @ football
---------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,124




Activity:
Walking/Shopping: 1 hr - 3 miles
Hiking: 30 mins - 0.75 miles
Fishing: 1 lb rod - approx. 40 + casts
Sprints: 6
Crunches: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment