Monday, November 21, 2011

The Verge of Quitting

It's been suggested, numerous times, that the reason I'm not losing weight anymore is because my calories are too low.  I have an issue with that because I was eating more calories when the loss first stopped and that's why I dropped back down.  It's being suggested that I should be eating 2,000 calories ... which is the regular recommended daily intake for maintenance not weight loss.  That's not gonna happen.  3,000 calories in or out equals approximately 1 lb.  So that said there's not logical way that a person should gain wait if they're eating 1,000 calories and exercising daily - especially not 3 lbs per week.  But here I am, again, with yet another Monday morning gain and I am starting to get really pissed off and frustrated and ready to just quit.

Before I started this blog I had let myself believe that I was "born to be fat".  That it was genetic and there was nothing that I could do about it.  The day that I started this blog I'd had en epiphany that that was a bunch of bullshit and if I wanted it bad enough there wasn't any reason that I couldn't be skinny just like anyone else.  And what did I do?  I lose over 60 lbs in less than a year.  AWESOME!

Yet here I am now gaining weight for no apparent reason.  233.5 this morning.  I've gained back 10 lbs now despite being active and counting intake.  Do you have any idea how frustrating this is?  I thought it was bad when I was weighing and not going anywhere but now to be going in the opposite direction ... I just can't even put it into words.  I feel helpless.  I feel like I'm on my way back to 287 and there's not a damned thing that I can do to stop it.  I'm pissed today.  Really pissed and I'm starting to crack.




Food:
120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 Healthy Choice lunch
8 oz baked chicken
1 cup parmesan noodles
-----------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 843





Activity:
Jumping Jacks: 250

6 comments:

  1. Awwww snookums! It will be ok! ((( rejecting 300))) Something is funky in your routine that you need to figure out. Maybe have a day or two of higher calories and then go back down. Cycling sometimes helps people kick out of stalls. A lot of salt recently? Maybe cut out sugar or carbs or both and see how that is? How is the ole menstral cycle? COuld it be your supplements? stress? there is something good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Swan gives you a script to go re-read the first month or so of blogs posts by you. To remember your mindset as it was a year ago A.N.D look at your calorie counts there. They were way higher and you were losing... maybe that is what you neeeeeed. :P Yes I am a buggie pain in the hiney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that I understand your frustration that it seems like you are going backwards in your journey. But you should realize that 60 lbs is a big number. I would like to point out that others notice this change in you. I would also like to point out the benefits you are bound to have added by losing the weight just in your health alone. I know it is a daily struggle, one that seems not worth the effort. There are many ways to go about losing weight. Only you can decide the best way to achieve that for yourself. In the journey to weight loss there will be losses, gains, stalls, doubt, and perseverance if truly wanted. I don't know how you feel physically but if you think back...is it worth it, to go back to eating crap perhaps the way you were over a year ago? Or is feeling better, being able to be more active, and feel good about choices you make in your diet more worth the trouble? Another inquiry I have that maybe you've thought about is this: have you considered that the weight gain is directly contributed to muscle mass? Obviously during the last year you've gained muscle. You've worked your butt off. There's no way you could not have put on muscle. Even in your previous post regarding your bras...could the tightness through the ribcage area be because you've actually gained muscle? You mention taking hormone supplements. I know that hormones can make your body go wonky! I am not sure how long you've taken the supplements but could they be affecting your weightloss/gain? There are many medications that make me gain, no matter the effort I put into keeping it off. I understand quality of sleep is precious and if taking the hormones are all that can afford a good night's sleep then they must be worth it, but maybe it's something to look into more just in an effort to ease your mind regarding the weight gain you've had. It's been a long year for you. One that has had it's share of disappointments with the ups and downs but the overall trend is downward and that is something to be proud of. You don't even look like the same person to me. I hope that whatever you decide to do brings you peace of mind. It can only be your decision. But I believe I would exhaust all means of determining why you are gaining rather than losing before completely giving up. the work you've put in is truly evident and I believe you deserve to continue the evolution you've begun. However certainly not if it simply makes you miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DONT GIVE UP HOPE. I WAS 248LBS AND AM NOT 140 IM ONLY 27 TOO. I DID IT ALL BY CHANGING WHAT I EAT AND EXERCISING. EXERCISING IS REALLY IMPORTANT. I THINK YOU REALLY SHOULD BE GETTIN IN 4-5 DAYS PER WEEK OF AN HR OF CARDIO. WHEN I SAY THAT I MEAN LIKE WHERE AFTER THE HR YOU ARE DRIPPING IN SWEAT. YOUR HEARTRATE SHOULD BE UP TO AT LEAST 145-150. DURING THAT HR YOU WILL BURN AT LEAST 600 CALORIES. THAT SHOULD HELP YOU GREATLY. ID KEEP THE CALORIES AT 1500 ON DAYS YOU GET THAT HR OF CARDIO, AND OTHER DAYS WHEN YOUR NOT EXERCISING KEEP IT AT 1200. THIS SHOULD HELP YOU GREATLY. IF YOU REALLY TRY THIS AND ARE STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT MAYBE U SHOULD SEE A DR. BECAUSE I CAN GUARANTEE U SHOULD LOSE WEIGHT IF YOU FOLLOW THIS PLAN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW...YOUR BODY HAS GOTTEN USE TO THE LOW AMOUNT OF CALORIES SO IT IS PROBABLY STORING ALL OF THE FOOD YOU ARE EATING.
    JUMPING JACKS ARE GOOD, BUT NOT ENOUGH EXERCISE TO MAKE YOU LOSE WEIGHT. YOU DEFINATLY NEED MORE EXERCISE. 5 HRS VIGIROUS EXERCISE PER WEEK IF YOU CAN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you thought about getting your thyroid checked out? If there is an issue there, it can cause weight gain because the glands aren't producing the right amount of hormones.

    Cycling calories works but usually for a plateau and it doesn't mean you're eating more calories than usual. It just means that on an weekly total of 8400 calories (1200 per day), one day you'd eat 1500 and then the next day you'd eat 900 and the next 1100 and the next 1000, etc. With cycling you maintain the same weekly calories but juggle the daily numbers to get the body burning again.

    I agree with The Swan ... reduce your carbs and sugar for a few days in the week. To start out slow, it is recommended you completely eliminate the carb at dinnertime for a week then eliminate it from lunch and dinner for a week (increase your protein slightly so you don't get hungry but keep things low fat). Or just eliminate it from your menu for 2 days out of the week. See how that works.

    I know how frustrating it is to see that scale go up. I've been on that track for over 6 months and I think about quitting every day. With me, it's due to health issues that I can't change so that makes it even more frustrating. But I don't quit because I know at some point my body will catch up and start losing again.

    Remember your tagline: Failure is temporary; giving up is permanent. :)

    ReplyDelete