Friday, August 19, 2011

The Home Remedy

Sunday as we were fixing supper Snackers peeled four potatoes and put the peels down the garbage disposal.  He honestly didn't know that you're not supposed to do that and, lo and behold, the sink clogged up baaaaad!  Neither side would drain, we plungered it for an hour to no avail and I finally gave up and accepted the fact that we were going to have to call a plumber.  *sigh*

Well I sent a text to our realtor on Monday and asked her for our home warranty info because we made the sellers of the home buy the warranty so we didn't know who it was with or our policy number or anything.  I heard back from her on Tuesday with the info and made the call, it was going to be $60 flat fee to have the warranty company send out a plumber but then the rep suggested a home remedy for clogged drains that "usually works" ... I thought sure, why not!

1 cup of salt
1 cup of baking soda
1 cup of white vinegar

Pour those three items down the drain, in that order and let it sit for 15-20 minutes while you boil a big pot of water.  Then pour the water down the drain.  I thought there was no possible way it was going to work but I already had the salt and vinegar and I figured that buying a box of baking soda would cost a lot less than a plumber so I gave it a shot last night after football practice.

I'll be damned ... it worked!  Of course the vinegar and baking soda reacted in my drain just like they do in a science fair volcano.  This huge bubbling reaction happened down inside the drain the instant I poured the vinegar in, spitting foam "lava" up into the sink and then it continued to make gurgling and bubbling noises from deep within the sink for several minutes after the original reaction.  I poured the boiling water in and nothing happened and I thought "crap, this sucks".  But I flicked the disposal on for a quick second and this black bubbly foam started to ooz up out of the drain, so I flicked it again ... more ooze.  So I turned the disposal on and let it run for a second and WHOOSH everything drained right out of both sides of the sink!!!  I ran the water for a good two or three minutes just to be sure and yep ... it's clear.  WOWSERS!!!  Save yourself the $$ of a plumber, or even drain-o and try this next time you're in these shoes cause seriously, wow.

p.s. thankfully in our case if we let the sink sit long enough the accumulated water would seep very slowly out so we had nice empty sinks for this but if your sink has standing water in it that you can't get rid of it might be a lot harder to get this remedy actually down into the drain so that it can work it's magic.




Food:
120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
2 tbsps peanut butter
2 cups leftover stew
2 small homemade fish burritos
-------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,286




Activity:
Not much.  Made supper and that's about it.  Had some excitement here tonight, I'll write about it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment