Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chicken Pizza

This was dinner last night and it was a whole lot yummier than it looks.  It was a whole wheat Flatout with marinara, part skim mozzarella cheese, cilantro, olives, half of a baked chicken breast, and onions on it.  I probably could have even gotten away with drizzling a little bit of balsamic vinegar on it but it was pretty tasty as-was.  But here is my assessment of the Flatout product.  It's more like a pita than I guess I thought it would be and I just put everything on it and baked it so it did not come out with the texture of a pizza crust at all ... I mean I guess it did if you like soft crust pizzas but I prefer crust that actually holds up the toppings and doesn't fold when you pick it up.  Now I read an online tip last night after dinner that said the way to remedy that is to put the Flatout in the oven for about 8-10 minutes with just a little bit of EVOO and some garlic powder on it, then take it out, put toppings on it, and put it back in the oven.  They're only 100 calories each if you get the whole grain which is JUST AWESOME in my opinion but when I made taco pie the other night (from the Comfort Food Diet Cookbook) I discovered a very quick and easy recipe for a Latino style flatbread that would also work just as well as the flatouts as a pizza crust and is less than half the calories so I think, next time, I'll take the extra 10 minutes to whip that up instead.

All-in-all, however, this is an exceptionally filling and relatively low-cal meal.  Here's the break-down:
1 Flatout = 100 calories
4 Tbsps marinara = 35 calories
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella = 130 calories
1/2 baked chicken breast = 100 calories
1 oz sliced black olives = 25 calories
1/4 cup diced onion = 16 calories
healthy sprinkle of chopped cilantro = Freebie
-------------------------------
Total: 406 calories

Now technically this is more than enough food to be 2 servings but since everyone has been giving me crap for eating 800 - 900 calories per day I ate a whole one by myself and I felt stuffed to the freakin' gills so that probably won't ever happen again.



Food:
8 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 serving low-fat salsa flavored crackers
1 serving leftover taco pie (the last of it)
1 homemade chicken pita (not very tasty)
-----------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 821 (I tried to eat more, I did but I just felt too full!)



Activity:
  1. 5 flights of stairs
  2. Walking: 5.25 miles (10,648 steps)!!!!!  I took Vladdy, we left at 9 p.m. when Snackers left for his night jobs and we headed for a nearby park at an extremely brisk walk but we took the long way there and then we also took the long way home, also at a fast walk.  We walked in the door at just past 11 p.m. so that's 2 solid hours of non-stop physical activity tonight.  I'm so proud of me right now!
  3. Sprinting: Once at the park Vladdy and I did 20 sprints fom one end of the park's grassy stretch to the other.  Of course I would lose my breath but instead of just standing or sitting to rest I would walk the length of the park at a medium pace once and then do two or three more sprints.  I noticed that I was actually able to do more laps back-to-back without running out of breath the more of them I did.  
(Note: No jogging, why?  A friend and blog reader told me that it is not good to run/jog large breed dogs that have a reputation for hip and joint problems until they are at least 1.5 years old because that is the crucial development period for their bones when the added stress can cause problems.  Since we were at the vet anyway a few weeks ago I asked her about that (because I've been wanting to jog with Vladdy but have avoided it to err on the side of caution) and she confirmed but made the exception that it is natural for a puppy to want to run and play and it's important for muscle development so it is ok to let him run in small amounts as long as it is on softer surfaces like grass or sand.  Hence the walking on the way to the park and the sprinting in the grass once we got there.)

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the walking -- you put me to shame! I usually walk most days about 2-3 miles at lunch but over 5! Wow, awesome! :)

    BTW, not only is jogging/running possibly bad for your dog, it's likely to be bad for YOU too! First, our family genetically has bad knee and ankle joints to begin with. Second, with the exception of the genetically-blessed (you know who you are, you 65-year old runners that still aren't showing signs of joint/back problems!), running/jogging is an unnatural-movement. In the wild humans rarely run/jog... they walk and sprint! For what purpose would a human jog log distances??? None. They are either tracking an animal over a long-distance or they are migrating... that's walking. Or, they are actively pursuing an animal to make a kill... that's sprinting. We were designed to go fast or slow, not medium. If you look at our anatomy when we jog vs. sprint you'll notice that when you jog your legs extend behind you slightly when you sprint, allowing the shock of your feet impacting the ground to spring through your muscles and get absorbed. When you jog, however, your feet impact the ground more or less directly under the spine and with a straighter-leg than when you sprint... reducing the amount of absorption and increasing the degree of impact felt in your joints and back.

    Sprinting is where it's at.
    :)

    No offense to the joggers/runners out there... if you jog and you love it, great! I actually wish I could, but after 6 years of running in the military the shin-splints never did go away and running never was enjoyable.

    (b)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Takes a big giant bow~ :) Danke, danke.

    ReplyDelete