Friday, March 4, 2011

A Quick Supper

Buffalo chicken sandwich
Last night after I got off work I went straight to fixing supper; these buffalo chicken sandwiches are 387 calories and they are from the Cook This, Not That! book.  Now the recipe calls for butter mixed into Frank's red hot but we are both Frank's fans so we cut out the butter and just sprinkled the franks right over the chicken after it was cooked.  It also calls for lettuce but we're more tomato people so we swapped them.  This was probably one of the fastest, easiest meals we've made from the book so far and flavor wise it wasn't half bad.  Actually, I'll give it more credit than that; I thought it was pretty darn good.

I wanted to "test" the pedometer because it was a cheapie so I counted my steps last night while walking with it on and then compared numbers following sets of 1,000.  I found it to occasionally be under by one or two steps but that's ok with me; much better than over because if I have to take a few extra steps to get the count up, that's better than not taking enough.  So I put on some NatGeo and just started walking.  The first program I watched was about the Jamestown settlement (the real story of Captain John Smith and Pocahontas) and the second program was about Arlington Cemetery.  I took short breaks here and there to chug glasses of water and when the second program had ended I looked at the pedometer to gleefully discover that I was only about 1,400 steps from having walked 6 miles ... a new record!  So I knocked them out and then went to soak in a hot bath.  I'm feeling pretty damn good this morning!  I'm not sore or tired and when I glanced in the mirror after getting dressed I actually stopped and did a double take.  My stomach has been bothering me a lot this entire time but when I saw myself standing sideways in the mirror I could finally see that I have made a difference in it.  It's not flat, by any means, but it's definitely improved!

P.s. My caloric intake was still pretty low after supper and I was lacking energy for exercising so I mixed up a fruit shake for dessert.  Snack Monkey insisted on adding sugar to it so I put in a little to make him happy.  I said earlier that I didn't feel any pain or fatigue from last night's 6 miles but after the first mile tonight a dull ache started in my feet (that's about 2-3 miles earlier than usual).  By the end of the second mile the dull ache had morphed into pain but I forced myself to keep going anyway because I'm sick of hovering around the 250 lb region.  However, by the end of the third mile the toes on my right foot were numb and I realized that couldn't be a good sign at all so I stopped.  I'm angry about it though ... I really wanted to do at least five miles tonight.



Food:
9 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 Fiber One bar
1 leftover buffalo chicken sandwich
1 Chicken breast w/tomatoes, capers, olives
8 asparagus spears, grilled
1 serving home-made fruit smoothie (recipe below)
--------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,283



Activity:
Walking (Indoor): 3.32 miles (6,653 steps)



Another Smoothie Recipe
1 kiwi
1 banana
1 avocado
1/2 small cantaloupe
1 cup water
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup sugar (Snack Monkey Insisted!)
----------------------------------
Makes 4 Servings: 191 Calories per serving

3 comments:

  1. Um . . . this is a little ridiculously important to me; can you describe what your foot pain was like and where it was as exactly as you can?

    Please?

    I'm worried that you might be getting a specific type of running injury I ran afoul of. It can lay you flat and make you hate life, but once you know what it is there is a great little "cure" that can help heal and prevent it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pain started as an ache, just like you get when you're on your feet for too long. It turned into a sharp pain in my arches, it felt like the bones in my feet needed to pop but couldn't. It's centered in my arches but goes all the way to the tops of my feet - same bones I suppose. It's definitely a bone pain and not a muscle or tendon pain. As heavy as I am if I am on my feet for too long my feet start to feel like the bones are going to break or the arches are going to collapse on me. That's what I was feeling last night but after only 1 mile when usually that only happens after standing on a hard surface like concrete for over an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I invite you to visit my blog at www.myrasjourney.blogspot.com - I have been following yours and find it encouraging because I am still over 200 lb. My top weight ever has been 250 lb. so I know what it's like and have found blogging very helpful. -Myra

    ReplyDelete