Sunday, March 20, 2011

A New Record

So last night I decided that if I still want to make my earlier goal of walking 20 miles this week, with all the time at the beginning of the week that I didn't do anything, I was going to have to really step it up this weekend.  I did 6.5 miles on Friday which meant I could do 6.5 last night and 7 tonight or visa versa.  It's only an extra 1,000 steps so I figured what the hell.  I got an early start on walking last night and had slept pretty well the night before so I felt good enough to go for 7.  That makes a new record, granted it's only an increase of half-a-mile but it's still a record AND it's half of my goal to do 14 miles in one day.  Even better, I did it in under 2 hours.  No joke!  Now this is walking in my living room so terrain is not a factor which means I'm still not ready for the marathon yet but 7 miles in 2 hours means I was going pretty fast and I never really felt like I was going to keel over.  I was glad it was over when I was done, don't get me wrong, but if I'd had to I could have done more.  One thing I've noticed about walking in place is that I tend to pick my feet up higher than if I were just walking normally so it's more like marching in place which is cool, but I think I put too much of my weight on the balls of my feet because my toes go numb after awhile.  That doesn't happen with normal walking.

The Wii keeps telling me that I put too much of my balance on my heels anyway though so maybe this will help me get used to adjusting my center of gravity so that I can increase my balance.  I've stayed off the scale all week, no cheating, because the week started out bad so I have no idea what to expect tomorrow morning.  I keep trying to tell myself not to worry about it, one bad week now and then isn't the end of the world, but I also can't stop thinking about it and wondering what the numbers are going to say to me.

I dreamed last night about riding horses.  My family had horses before I moved away from home and I used to ride on a daily basis.  I got pretty good at it; I could ride up and down really step inclines like they do in western movies, I trained my horse to rear and crow-hop on command while I was riding her, and absolutely loved to herd and cut cattle.  Once upon a time I was quite the little cow girl but it's been such a long time and a big part of becoming good a riding a horse is building up the right muscles for balance and control.  I'm not sure what it will be like when I finally get on a horse again but I do miss the good old days.  Last night I was watching old western TV shows from the 80's on Netflix (The Young Riders is the name of it; highly recommended!) and I guess that led to the dreams I had.  In my dream I was in the old west (early-mid 1800's) and I was riding for the Pony Express.  It was a really fun dream!

p.s. went to the bank today to cash Snack Monkey's paycheck and our bank lady that we see every weekend said "Are you losing weight?" uh-huh ... yep!  Weeeeeeeee!!!!!!



Food:
5 glasses of water
1 diet sun drop soda (13 calories)
1 poached egg
1 cup corned beef (shredded, not hashed)
1 bagel w/cream cheese
1 serving grilled mahi (from the food bible)
1/2 cup white rice w/lemon pepper
----------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,080



Activity:
Walking: 6.5 miles (13, 180 steps)

1 comment:

  1. I also have not had a great week. I must get serious again and clean up my act. I have been having trouble getting the water in like I should so it is nobody's fault but my own. I am going to wait until I growl to eat and then I will know I am truly empty and on the right track again. I am glad you can walk like that. Planting my foot on a moving belt makes by lower back hurt. I wish I had room for an elliptical trainer. Those are easy on the back and the knees. I am going to Jazzercise this morning - that's fun. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete