Thursday, March 10, 2011

Frozen Dinners

First things first: I took the draw-string in on my black pants again last night (the ones I'm wearing in all the pics!!!!)  YAY!

Moving on: I thought that I had tried just about every frozen dinner in the market; healthy and otherwise.  But the shopping trip before last as we were at the checkout line the ladies behind us unloaded a bunch of these Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers meals that caught my eye.  They're bigger than the usual meal and in a very different kind of box so I couldn't help taking a closer look to see what they were.  The woman said that they were really good so the last time we went shopping I decided to grab a few and give them a shot.  They're not as inexpensive as other microwaveable meals but at approximately $3 a box they're still cheaper than Subway or other "eating out" options.  They have a pretty big variety and the options are completely unlike anything I've ever seen in a frozen dinner before; like Chicken Marsala, Chicken Pesto, and Whiskey Steak.  They come in these cool steamer trays and they self-vent so you don't even have to poke holes in the plastic cover before putting them in the microwave.  You literally just pop it in and turn it on; when they're done you take the plastic off, take the steamer tray out of the sauce tray and dump the chicken and veggies into the sauce, stir it up and enjoy.

They average close to or below 300 calories each (at least the ones I looked at do) and are low sodium (which means they need a little salt for flavor).  Last night I had the second of the four dinners I bought and I was really impressed with it.  I mean it's not Macaroni Grill quality but it sure as heck isn't what you would expect from a frozen dinner either.  For those of you looking for meals on the run that aren't too shabby on the healthy scale I highly recommend these.



Food:
8 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 Fiber One bar
1 serving greek chicken salad
1 serving mushroom chicken
1 serving golden treasure shrimp
--------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,127



Activity:
Walking: 4 miles (8,000 + steps)

4 comments:

  1. These are exactly the sort of "new frozen foods" I was referring to a few months back.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you're doing so well! keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon: I was thinking you were talking about those bagged veggies that you put in the microwave and they steam inside the bag. I tried those and didn't care for them. I'm not really sure why they were different but these Lean Cuisine ones are a lot better than those bagged veggies ... the fact that they have some meat in them doesn't hurt. :)

    Struggling: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 pesto. I need to veganize some.

    Basil is my bff. hehe...

    ;)

    for awhile I ate a lean cuisine every day for two meals for 2 weeks. I gained 11 lbs!!!!! (This is back when I was an idiot)

    haha.

    it was all water, I stopped eating them and dropped it immediately. too much sodium! it's good if these have less. those frozen meals that can be killer.

    ReplyDelete