Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lackluster Soup

So last night's supper was potato soup from the food bible, Snack Monkey picked out the recipe and I have to say that I wasn't impressed.  It had really good flavor and all, but it was very thin!  It called for 8 cups of chicken stock but only two potatoes.  I realized when he picked the recipe that at only 220 calories per serving it was going to be a light, thin, soup but I guess Snack Monkey was expecting something a lot thicker because he was complaining about it before he'd even tried it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm ok with runny soup.  I eat those Progresso light soups from time to time and heaven knows those are runny but the picture in the book certainly made the soup look a lot thicker than it came out.  I ate my serving with a couple of those mini-crescent rolls but Snack Monkey ended up putting a whole package of Ramen noodles in his and microwaving it until the noodles had soaked up all the broth from the soup.  Typical Snack Monkey lol.  It made four servings but we didn't end up saving the other two because it just wasn't a filling soup.  In fact that was probably my main issue with it; the flavor was good, the fact that it was runny didn't really bother me too much, but after a good sized portion and two rolls my stomach was actually still growling - something it hasn't done in a long time.  I find that especially odd about the recipe because the rest of them that we've tried have been very filling and satisfying but this one just wasn't.

About 20 minutes after dinner I was having massive stomach cramps but I know that nothing in the soup was bad so I'm assuming it gave me gas, or maybe it was from having so much broth in my stomach ... I'm not really sure.  I went to bed feeling terrible after I cleaned the kitchen so I cross-stitched for a few hours and then fell asleep early.  I feel fine this morning but I don't think we'll be making that soup again.



Food:
11 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 Fiber One bar
1/2 cup taboule salad
1 medium avocado w/salt and pepper
1 turkey reuben (dry)
1 order fries (baked)
1 pickle spear
---------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,269



Activity:
My knee was bugging today and I'm not really sure why.  I don't remember doing anything to it, I didn't even work out last night but I woke up this morning with it hurting.  We went to softball tonight and I wore my pedometer but I didn't do laps around the field.  I stood through more than 3/4 of the first game and all of the second game because I know standing burns more calories than sitting and it didn't hurt my knee to stand, only to walk.  According to my pedometer I walked 3,329 steps which is just over a mile and a half.  That's probably mostly from making two trips from the car to the fields and back again.  It's not great but it's better than nothing, hopefully my knee will feel better tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. seems like you're doin' great on the food front! keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be disappointed with a runny potato soup too!! Hope your knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought that cookbook and made the Lasagna Rolls - so good but add a little extra sauce. Thanks for the heads-up on the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had our eye on those lasagna rolls for awhile but they never seem to make it on the menu for some reason. I'll have to keep them in mind the next time I make a shopping list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete