Friday, July 22, 2011

The Homestretch

Well we're almost there!  Painting is done, the trash and tarps and buckets of paint have all been cleaned up and we've started filling up the car with stuff to take to the house on every trip that we make over there.  Today Snackers is going to swing by the house with his cleaning van after work and clean all of the floors, tile and carpet alike.  Then tonight we'll move our bedroom furniture into the house, unpack all of our boxes and put stuff away so that we can bring the boxes back here and load them back up again, and I'll try, if I have time, to get the kitchen cleaned thoroughly top-to-bottom.

I ended up having to clean the oven THREE TIMES with SimpleGreen oven cleaner because the people who owned that house before us were just that filthy!  SimpleGreen, for those of you who have never used it, is the ultimate degreaser - this is the first time I have ever seen anything so dirty that it couldn't be cleaned in a swipe with that stuff.  Even my mom was astonished when I told her.

It is easy to say on my blog that I am exhausted and sore from cleaning and I am sure that it is easy, as a reader, to think 'it's just cleaning, it can't be that bad' but you would have to see it to believe it.  BUT ... that was to our benefit I think because most people would have walked into that house and said "Oh it's a disaster, we don't want to buy this" but Snackers and I walked in and said "It can be cleaned".  We truly got an awesome deal and all we had to do was put a little bit of sweat and hard work into it and it is now a beautiful house!  I can't wait to take pictures for you once the carpets are cleaned and I am so bummed that I didn't get before pic because you would not believe the transformation!  As tired as we are I have to confess that we are feeling very proud of ourselves right now.

Last night after we cleaned the last of the painting supplies out it started to finally feel like our house.  My sister asked me when she was here last week if it had "sunk in" yet and I said no, definitely not.  Every night we would go over there and it would feel like we were cleaning and painting someone else's house ... I just couldn't wrap my head around knowing that it is ours but last night it finally started to hit me.  We stood between the living room and the dining room and just hugged each other as we looked around and all that we have accomplished in such a short amount of time.  I can't wait until we can officially move our things in on Saturday and then spend our first night there.  It still feels a little bit surreal.

Survey time!:  So we bought a five gallon bucket of red paint because we actually thought that we would use it all in the bedroom (the paint company's projections on square foot coverage were SO WRONG!) and we now have about 3 gallons left.  The guest bedroom is lavender and we haven't painted it yet because we don't really know what we want to do with it.  We thought we might as well just use the leftover red paint on it but since it is a guest room my mom was against the idea because she thought some guests might not want to stay in a red room.  What do you all think?





Food:
8 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 fiber one bar
1 tbsp peanut butter (no pickles)
1 Healthy Choice lunch
1 steak burrito
1 weight watchers ice cream bar
----------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,069




Activity:
4 flights of stairs
Packing/Loading the car
Unpacking the car
Unpacking boxes/putting some stuff away
Laundry
Cleaned blinds in the kitchen
Washing/Hanging wall plates

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR RED!!! I have the exact same thing in my living room!! I say, its your house, and your guest room!!! Go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, if a guest balks at a free-stay in nice room because it's red, *SCREW 'EM*!

    Tell mom I don't balk at staying with her just because the whole place is decorated in victorian "charm".

    Hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion on the guestbedroom is: If you accessorize really well with curtains, bedding, wall hangings and make the room a really bold, outstanding room, then perhaps the red could work. It would feel festive. But, at the same time, I believe a lavender room sounds heavenly. Again, all about how you accessorize...put some flowy soft curtains and keep bedding and furniture light in color, it would feel like a soft, fuzzy, romantic type room. I believe it all depends on how you decorate the room to coordinate with the paint and what type of "Feel" you want to the room. Either way could work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all, no time to chat. Just got the office set up and wanted to make sure the internet was working. It is, now gotta go help Snackers with the bedroom. Took a ton of pics last night and will take more when we get everything put away. THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS

    Oh an bro, YOU ARE SO RIGHT! She puts me in the "sewing room" every time I visit and you don't hear me complaining ... well, ok so I do because everyone else gets to stay in the guest rooms with nice beds and I always sleep in "my old room" ... but you're right. Is she coming to visit me or my guest room right? lol

    ReplyDelete