Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Aftermath

Last night's birthday celebration was fun but tough.  All-you-can-eat Sushi has rules: if you don't eat everything you order you have to pay for it.  And the chefs know "Temptation" on sight because he used to eat there several times a week with his boss before I met him so they were being far too liberal with the sushi.  I would barely get one roll in front of me and they would be asking me what I wanted my next roll to be which made it really hard to pace myself.

I know from my health class earlier this year that the average body takes about 20 minutes for the "I'm full" signal to get from the stomach to the brain so by the time I realized I was full ... I was way too full.  It was very tasty though.  Then "Temptation" took me straight from the restaurant to a party where ice cream cake was placed in front of me with the expectation that I eat it, no time to rest between dinner and desert.  It took me about 45 minutes to eat half my slice and then that was just all she wrote.  Thank goodness I only have one birthday per year!

Today I woke up feeling like I wouldn't need to eat for a week.  By around 11 am I started to feel a little hungry and poured some carefully measured cereal but, per my brother's advice, I'm going to take GNC up on their offer to return the Hoodia pills and go au-natural.  The events of yesterday afternoon were very bad and I am not willing to tempt fate by trying them again just to see what happens.  I'll put that $20 to better use ... maybe I'll trade the pills in for a ShakeWeight because, green-goddess-on-a-cracker, did those push-ups ever KILL my arms yesterday!  :)

Food:
3 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee with creamer
24 mini-wheat biscuits with 1 cup of fat free milk
1 cup crab salad (leftovers)
2.5 cups tomato soup
12 inch oven roasted chicken breast sub on 9 grain bread, no cheese
>5 tomato slices
>7 cucumber slices
>2 oz black olives
>1/2 cup sliced onions
>1 Tbsp light mayo
>1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
20 almonds
---------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1,664

Exercise:
30 leg lifts (front) each leg
30 leg crunches (front)
60 stomach crunches
--------------------------------
Daily Caloric Burn: 221

(Note: the calorie calc I am using measures burn by minutes rather than reps so some discrepancies may occur on this and it is to be intended as a loose guideline.  Plus side: abs are a-burnin' right now!)

p.s. Calorie intake prior to work-out today is about the same as it was yesterday and I do NOT feel weak, shaky, or otherwise poopy.  For me that's evidence that yesterday's fainting spell was the result of the Hoodia pills which only solidifies my decision to return them to GNC.

2 comments:

  1. Good news about returning the Hoodia -- I think that was a very good decision. You might want to consider exchanging them for a good multi-vitamin -- losing weight can be stressful on a body and the extra nutrition can really help. If you decide to go that route ask the GNC people to help you find a liquid or softgel multi -- the typical hard vitamin is said to be hard to digest and some amount of it can be wasted because by the time it gets broken down in your system it no longer has enough time to be absorbed -- I don't know for sure if that's true, but seems to make sense.

    If they don't have a vitamin you feel fond of, but you want to go that route, take a look at the Bio-35 vitamin -- I just started on it, so I don't have an opinion on personal experience, but it's a soft-gel, nearly every vitamin in it was 200-300% more potent than my old multi, and they say that after about 6 weeks a lot of people can actually feel the difference... yet it has no stimulants. You can get a free sample mailed to you, and my fee sample that just arrived yesterday had a coupon for my next purchase. All that plus it's fairly affordable... you can get a 300-count bottle for a little under $40... the suggest you take anywhere between 1 to 3 capsules a day so even at the max that's a 100-day serving, just over 3 months. That makes your monthly bill about $13 (again, that's at the max-doage! If you only took the min-dosage you'd be spending about $4/month). Even at the max-dosage, it's more affordable than my old multi, from Herbalife (which sells for about $20 for 90 hard-tablets -- recommended-dosage is 3 tablets/day -- so it costs about $20/month). The Herbalife one is a hard-tablet not a soft-gel, and comapre the potency of the individual-ingredients! Bio-35's ingredients (not on all counts, but on many) are 2x-3x more potent than Herbalife's -- and in some cases even more.

    Bio-35 label: http://www.bio35.com/uploads/Bio-35.PNG

    Herbalife label: http://www.edietstar.com/cellularnutrition/3115.pdf

    But do your homework, don't just buy Bio-35 because I happen to like it at the moment. To be fair, GNC's "Mega Man" (course you'd want the woman's version) is fairly affordable, about the same price as Bio-35, and is a fair amount MORE potent than Bio-35... but it's a hard-tabled not a soft-gel, so I'm not sure how much of that extra potency is actually going to be absorbed.

    For my money, I think you'd do just fine by exchanging your Hoodia for GNC's women's vitamin.... you can get the basic-formula for about $15/bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taking a vitamin from GNC (hard tablet) a few years ago and it consistently caused nausea. I'm using Women's 1-A-Day right now, which mom has already said she's not fond of, but I want to at least use the bottle up before getting something else. I hate wasting things if I can help it. I'm also taking Calcium with D because my hormone issues put me at greater risk for osteoporosis in the future. I'll look into a better multi-vitamin when the 1-A-Days are gone.

    ReplyDelete