Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Quite The Workout

The instant that I got off of work last night I could tell Snackers wasn't going to be up for tennis or any other form of exercise so I jumped right onto the treadmill before I could talk myself out of it.  I started out with a walk at 3.0 mph for 5 minutes and then jogged at 5.0 mph for 1 minute.  I alternated these four more times and then did a sprint at my top speed of 5.5 mph.  (Fresh I could probably go faster but after 30 minutes of walk/jog I was already pooped).  I then went back to four more reps of walking and running at 3.0, did another sprint of 5.5 at the end and then walked for 5 more minutes as a cool-down for a total workout of 65 minutes.  Felt pretty damned good.  I think I'm going to try to stick with that program for awhile to build stamina, then increase it.

One thing about burning more calories than you eat in a day (I burned over 500 on the treadmill alone) is you wake up STARVING the next day so my intake is probably gonna be a little higher than usual today if my grumbly tumbly is any indication.





Food:
120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 can hearts of palm
1/2 serving leftover ravioli and marinara
1 slice garlic bread
2 chicken tamales
-----------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1377





Activity:
No lunch-break yoga - Snackers commandeered me to run errands on my lunch break
Talked myself out of the treadmill on the premise that I was so tired from the night before.
Bad.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't it you that had pain when you tried to run while heavier? Please share exactly what it was. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a number of trouble with running in the past. I inherited weak knees and ankles from my mom so those were always a problem when I was heavier, especially if I tried to run. I've also always had issues with shin splints but seem to have resolved that by buying some actual running shoes instead of Walmart el'cheapos. The worst is chest pain which I still have if I overdo, like I did tonight, but I suspect that's from smoking. I had a long and violent relationship with planters fasciitis but that also cleared up over time with a brace and a better pair of walking shoes. Why? What's up? Maybe we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did 45 minutes on the tread the other night and I ran in one min. increments here and there. About 7 minutes total. They were very slow run speeds so I didn't expect any issues. (only 3mph) However my right heel started hurting at the end and now two days later is it finally feeling better. (which you would know if you READ my blog cough,cough!) LOL

    I have running shoes and am a forefoot striker so my hubby (who is a multiple marathoner) is totally baffled as to why my heel hurts. He is a heel striker and has never had heel pain so it is really friggen annoying trying to explain to him where the pain is with him saying I shouldn't hurt there. Because yeah- that will stop the pain! @@

    I think I may just try and work on getting my walking stamina up more before more running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for not looking in on your blog more often. I have been neglecting a lot of friend's blogs lately and I feel like a jerk because I feel like I barely have time to post to my own blog anymore, let alone catch up on the progress of others.

    Regarding your heel pain, I can think of three possible causes. Planters Fasciatis is something I had issues with not that long ago and it really kicked my ass. In my case it was brought on by standing for too many hours barefoot on tile floors and step ladders while cleaning / painting the new house but I did a lot of research on it when I had issues with it and learned that it can be caused by anything that over-stresses the tendon that runs along the bottom of your foot and up the back of your heel and is most common in overweight people. However, it usually takes a lot longer to get rid of it than a few days.

    Option B would be bone spurs. I've never had them but my mom gets them and I know that they are also common in over weight people. I don't, however, know much about them. I do know that when my mom gets them they stay with her for a long time also.

    Finally, and most likely, is that you might have bruised your heel. Maybe you had a small pebble in your shoe that was too small to feel but after running on it you bruised some tissue in your foot - or you might have even bruised it ever so slightly sometime before running but didn't feel it and then when you ran you over irritated it, making the pain more obvious. Given the time line for relief, a bruise is what I would put my money on. I'm glad you're feeling better now though.

    ReplyDelete