Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hijacked Again

So I called the hand specialist for Snackers first thing yesterday morning as soon as they opened expecting to make an appointment and what I got from them instead was "The Dr. wants you to come in right now, if you can".  I talked to my boss and he told me to go without hesitation so we dropped everything, got dressed and headed out.  We had to swing by the E.R. first to pick up his X-rays which turned out to be a completely pointless 45 minutes out of our way because we both forgot to grab Snackers' wallet with his ID in it.  *growl*.  He's still all foggy from Keflex and I'm having a hard time remembering everything for two people.  So we got all the way to the E.R. and realized he didn't have his ID, turned around and came all the way back home to get it, then drove all the way back to the E.R. again to pick up his X-rays.

Then the hand Dr. was as far west as you can get in Las Vegas and we're about as far east as you can get so we drove across the whole damned valley to get there.  They jumped us right into a room rather quickly, they took the splint off and the Dr. had Snackers do a tendon test, which he failed miserably.  I could even tell he failed it before the Dr. said anything because as they were doing the test Snackers was watching his hand but the Dr. was watching Snackers' expression ... you can't bullshit a bullshitter - that test hurt like hell and the Doc knew it.  Snackers REALLY didn't want surgery but he's getting it this Friday. *sigh*

They're going to put him under, cut his stitches out and "have a look inside".  If the cut to the tendon is less than 50% they'll just stitch him back up and send him home.  If it's more than 50% they'll operate right there to sew the tendon back together, then stitch his hand back up and put him in a cast and send him home.  Prognosis is 4-8 weeks depending on the results of Friday's surgery.  He's mui unhappy about it.

Up-side workman's comp is handling the medical bills since it happened at work and Snackers has Aflac so that's going to help out a lot too but it still sucks.  He can't play video games or do much of anything so he's going to become very restless and bored very quickly.  The Dr. gave Snackers a new prescription so we had to go back to the damn pharmacy at Coscto as soon as I got off work and spent an hour walking around there waiting for the little pager they gave us to go off.  Then we took the dogs to the dog park and I ran around with Vladdy and chased him to get some exercise of my own but again, no yoga, no treadmill.  By the time we got home it was 10:00 and I went straight to bed and I'm STILL exhausted and feeling under-rested this morning.  I hope today is more normal.  I thrive on routine.

I didn't weigh yesterday amidst the chaos and I'm feeling very bloated and constipated today so I'm kind of afraid to weigh today too but we'll see how the day goes.  I think it's about that time of month for me...for the first time in 10 years.

p.s. I'm not counting it as exercise but it's been a long time since I've driven a stick for more than just a short trip here and there I guess because my left thigh is SORE from pushing the clutch over the last three days.  lol  I'm such a wimp.

120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 healthy choice lunch
8 oz grilled steak (home prepared)
8 grilled asparagus spears
2 cups popcorn
1 skinny cow ice cream
Daily Caloric Intake: 1162

Yoga: 30 minutes
Treadmill: 3 min at 5 mph (one set, details in today's post)
Fitocracy Points: 126


  1. They only have a week to fix the tendon or it just won't work :(
    I'm sure the surgery will go well. If it's like mine they'll do it and start him on physio with the week! At least it hurts because that means he didn't injure the nerve.

  2. They rescheduled his surgery for next Wednesday. After reading your comment that worries me because it puts the surgery 11 days after the injury. I hope they're not going to mess him up by doing this.