Monday, May 2, 2011

Weigh-In 25

So yesterday morning Snackers and I wanted to do breakfast like we usually do on Sunday but we're not entirely convinced that the pup is to the point yet that he'll be quiet when we leave the house for any length of time and, in an apartment, we can't afford to have him barking his head off when we're gone so I made a shopping list and Snackers hit the store while I did some laundry.  When he got home I concocted a restaurant quality breakfast sandwich with Mediterranean influence.  I didn't think to take pictures but I did analyze the recipe on CalorieCount.com and will share it with you. 

I used a frying pan and a foreman grill for this, which was awesome, but I'm going to write the instructions as I would make it if I just had a frying pan.  In this instance I would suggest having something heavy like a kitchen weight or a foil-wrapped brick ready to apply pressure to the sandwich while it toasts.  (Brandon, you especially might be interested in that weight, even if you don't make this recipe because I know how much you love your cast iron pan and those weights can be used for a LOT of things).
 

Mediterranean Breakfast Sandwich
1 medium egg
1 tsp capers
1 tsp pimentos
2 slices low-fat Genoa salami
1 slice part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 slices tomato
2 tsps fat-free balsamic vinaigrette
1 clove garlic cut in half
salt & pepper to taste
---------------------------------------------
First very lightly toast/warm the bread slices in the frying pan, remove, and rub each liberally with the garlic clove half and set aside.

Next combine egg, capers, pimentos, salt, and pepper in a glass or bowl and beat thoroughly.  Pour mixture in the pan and cook on medium-high heat until the bottom is firm (like an omelette), then flip and cook through.

Layer salami, cheese, and egg between the bread slices, place the sandwich in the pan and place the heavy object on top.  Cook for about a minute or less (just to toast, don't let it burn), then flip, weight it, and cook some more.  Open it up, add the tomato and drizzle on the balsamic.  Serve.

Calories Per Sandwich: 357
---------------------------------------------

Weigh-In Comments: 239.5 ... figures.  I spent the entire week pretty much either going down 1 lb or staying at the same weight on a day-to-day basis and then, on the day of the official weigh in, I go up 1 lb from the day before.  I can honestly say that I'm not binging out on Sundays.  On the contrary, I think I'm playing so hard on Sunday that, come Monday morning, I'm dealing with post dehydration water retention.  I drank plenty of water yesterday but I drank it inconsistently.  I spent the first part of the day cleaning the house, barely drank anything.  I spent the second part of the day out in the sun, also barely drank anything.  And then I came home last night and consumed about 50% of my water intake for the entire day all in a few hours before bed.  I would bet money that come tomorrow morning, after frequent bathroom breaks today, I will probably see that extra lb go away.  But at least now, thanks to last week's tracking, I know that I can more or less boil my Monday weigh-in issues down to my Sunday activity choices/habits.  Looking back, this makes total sense because the bulk of my problems started around the same time that the weather turned really nice and Snackers and I started spending Sundays outside playing in the sun instead of hanging out around the house!



Food:
7 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 salami, mozz, & tomato sandwich
>>low fat salami
>>part-skim mozzarella
>>tomato
>>sourdough bread
>>balsamic vinaigrette
>>dijon mustard
1 chicken soft taco
1 chicken wrap
1 small fry
---------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 930



Activity:
6 flights of stairs
Walking the puppy at softball ... didn't track distance though because he required too much attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment