Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Apple Crumble

So last night I decided to make the apple crumble recipe in the Cook This, Not That! Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals for dessert last night, we had purchased all of the ingredients the last time that Snack Monkey went grocery shopping and I didn't want the apple to go bad before we got it made.  It was a relatively easy recipe to make, quite swift but also considerably messy.  When the finished product came out of the oven, however, neither of us were impressed with it.  I mean it was ok, it wasn't bad, but I've had better.  Sweet Tomato occasionally has an apple cobbler dessert that is around 300 calories per cup and I think it tastes MUCH better!  Theirs has dried cranberries in it and I'm thinking if I ever try to make apple crumble again I'll probably try adding some cranberries to mine too but I doubt I'll bother making it at all.  The apple to crumble ratio was way off, far too much crumble and not enough apples.  Plus the crumble burns before the apples get soft enough to cut with a spoon, and it's somewhat light on flavor which is surprising considering it calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, apple juice, and granny smith apples; all things very big on flavor.

Well I've lost count on the ratio of good recipes to "not favorites" in the book but I know that out of all of them we've tried this is really only the second recipe that was no one our "wow list".  That still makes for one hell of a great track record.  For all the goat/feta cheese recipes in this book though I think I'm going to have to invest in a pet goat! lol.  Goat/feta is not cheap but almost every recipe in the book calls for it.



Food:
4 glasses water
24 mini wheats
1/2 cup milk
2 chicken soft tacos w/pico
calzone guts (explanation tomorrow)
-----------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1017



Activity:
2 hours cooking the most disastrous dinner known to man

No comments:

Post a Comment