Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Korean Grocery Store

 So "Temptation" and I were driving home from a friend's house last night and I spotted a Korean market across the street from the gas station where we stopped to fill up.  I knew we needed to pick up some fruit and basic supplies anyway so I suggested that we check it out.  First of all, aside from a few Latino gentlemen bagging groceries (cute ones too!) we were the only non-Asian people in the store ... however, everyone was like double friendly to us.  This is just one reason why I love Asian culture.  I was completely out of place, everything was in Korean yet everyone in the store, even the other shoppers, were warm and friendly and eager to share their culture with us.  They had these little sample stands everywhere with things to try that I honestly couldn't identify and everything was extremely affordable.  I should mention, at this point, that I think I might have been Andrew Zimmern's twin sister in a previous life or something.  The guy is my hero because he travels around the world, immerses himself in other cultures without prejudice or fear, he dives right in to anything he's offered and does so with grace, consideration, and respect.  Ok, that said, read on.

So I went straight for the bananas because they were one of the few things that I recognized, and then we slowly wandered around the store looking at everything.  Sushi heaven ya'll ... I would give anything to get locked up in that market for a weekend.  Even though it was labeled on the outside as a Korean market I noticed that it had a variety of Chinese and Japanese items as well.  Spices and herbs I've never seen, pickled squid, marinated black pork belly.  Yum yum a thousand times over!  They had cookies made out of rice but I didn't get any because the nutritional information was written in Korean so I couldn't count the calories in them.

We shopped sparingly because we're going to be out of town for four days over Christmas so we didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff and then have it go bad while we're gone but we are soooo going back!  I picked up some sushi rolls, some seaweed salad, some bananas, and as we were leaving there was this guy at the front serving these puffed rice cake thingies (way tasty and only 22 calories each) so we bought a bag of those too.  You can buy masago and roe by the bucket for only $6!  I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!



Food:
4 glasses of water
1 cup of coffee with creamer
1 Korean Laver Roll (ingredients below)
>>Laver Paper (seaweed)
>>Rice
>>Carrots
>>Raddish
>>Spinach
>>Imitation crab
>>Egg
>>Ham
>>Cucumber
1 whole dill pickle
1 Korean rice cake
1/3 cup seaweed salad
1 cup fat free yogurt
1 hostess 100 calorie snack pack
15 sunchips
1 fresco steak burrito
2 fresco ranchero chicken tacos
-----------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1333



Exercise:
37 minute Wii Active (custom workout)
------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Burn: 319

3 comments:

  1. No getting locked up in that store over the weekend ;)

    But now I am craving sushi... thanks a lot... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo :D When you get back I would love to go with you!!
    ~Tia

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I would love that, you would probably recognize more of the items there than we did so we could really use your help too! :) It's going to be fun to start hanging out with you again. I've missed you so much.

    ReplyDelete