Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Explanation

Hi all, this post probably won't be a two-pager like yesterday's was.  It seems that the majority of you prefer short and sweet anyhow so here's one you'll love.  Gotta leave today immediately after work for San Deigo but the rain is coming down in buckets.  My home-town of St. George, Utah has declared a state of emergency across all of Washington County and my parents were evacuated yesterday.  We had a scare when my sister and dad went to open the gate to the horse corral so the horses could run to higher ground and no one could get in touch with them to inform them of the evacuation.  Then my brother and I coordinated to get the family dog (also left out of his kennel so he could get to high ground) rescued.

It wasn't a great day and we're not out of the woods yet.  The rain is still coming down like crazy, a home has already been swept into the river and floated away, dozens of others are flooded, and it's expected to continue raining through tomorrow afternoon.  A big part of me doesn't even want to go to San Diego tonight and these events are sure putting a very big damper on Christmas for a lot of families that are out of their homes right now.

The worst part is that this is the second time in 5 years that Washington County, Utah has declared a state of emergency due to severe flooding.  We called the last one "the hundred year flood" and this one is already shaping up to be worse.  So far there haven't been any lives lost and far fewer homes lost than there were in 2005 but the water levels are several feet higher than they were and several dams in the area are under constant surveillance due to their potential for failure.  One dam containing 1,900 square acre feet of water was pronounced to have an imminent collapse yesterday morning causing the evacuation of over 300 people down river from it.  That "imminent collapse" was later changed to "cautiously optimistic" around 4:30 pm last night but many of those families are opting to stay evacuated to err on the side of caution.

I just have an awful lot on my mind today and not much energy for anything.  Yesterday's hyperventilating, violently sobbing, physically shaking all-over, panic attack really took an awful lot out of me.  I freakin' hate panic attacks, I really do.  That's probably the third or fourth one I've had this year and they are shockingly exhausting.  I wonder how many calories they burn?


Food:
4 glasses of water
8 oz protein shake
2 bananas
1/2 can light Progresso soup
1 Whole wheat bagel
1 grilled chicken sandwich
>>light mayo
>>swiss cheese
>>tomato
>>lettuce
1 snack-sized bag of chex mix
-------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 1455


Exercise:
30 squats
30 lunges (each leg)
30 jumping jacks
15 minutes belly dancing
--------------------------------
Daily Caloric Burn: 301

4 comments:

  1. Get outta my head! I have often wondered how many calories I burn with my panic attacks but never said it "out loud". They are completely exhausting though, so it seems like they must burn something other than brain cells.

    I hope you're not letting Allan effect your mood. You can't care what mean people say. I think Karen meant well if she is the one who commented about burning calories. I didn't see her comment yet, but I find her to be pretty reasonable. I will never ever understand Allan's hurtfulness but it doesn't look like it's going to stop.

    The flooding sounds terrifying. In lots of areas in flat nw ohio we have had flooding but not as bad as other parts of the country. We have rain garden initiatives all over the place to help the water infiltrate the ground better when it pours now instead of just running off. I hope everything is ok at your parents, esp for the poor animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds terrible. Hope things get better (drier) and soon. On a lighter note, love the picture of you with the bow on your mouth. I need to do that over the holidays (lol). And I know how you feel about panic attacks. I have been living with them for 25+ years and I am winning. It's possible. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly haven't visited his blog since the first load of lies he posted and I have no intention of ever visiting it again. Like my tag-line says: I am not a jackass whisperer.

    If he's still posting shit about it me it just goes to show that he lacks creativity and is incapable of coming up with an original blog post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say I have to agree there, pupper. On the lack of creativity.

    ReplyDelete