Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Farmer's Market

Vegas has some produce problems, from what I've found.  The affordable stores like Smith's, Wal-Mart, and even Fresh & Easy have minimal produce and sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not.  When it's good, though, it's also usually over priced.  Yesterday, while driving around, we got a tip on a Farmer's Market on eastern from, of all places, a pet supplies store so we went to check it out.

Mostly it was arts and crafts but one table was set up with fresh produce and it was BEAUTIFUL!  We didn't have much cash on us because we hadn't really planned on going there but I did buy some beautiful apples, blueberries, a mango, and a few pears.  I picked up some cranberry juice at the grocery store because I've been having some kidney pain over the last week or so and I'm going to start trying to remember to do fruit drinks again.  I really enjoyed them the last time I did them but the produce here is so unpredictable that I kinda got out of the habit.

There are some places, like Whole Foods, that always have beautiful produce but it's SO EXPENSIVE that I just can't justify spending $30 on fruit every week or making the drive up to Green Valley for anything less than that.

Snackers has been feeling kinda down on himself lately and has decided that he wants to get into shape also.  His diet is horrible and I don't think that's going to change but with work he somehow manages to "maintain" his man-belly without really gaining much so I guess if he starts walking with me he might be able to lose something.  If not, at least I'll be more motivated to get off my butt and get out and about.  We got him some walking shoes yesterday because all he had were flip-flops and work boots and then we did a whole lotta walking / running around yesterday including a concert at the Hard Rock Cafe on the strip by the School of Rock.  Twelve and thirteen year old kids playing Come Together and rocking out to American Idiot.  It was pretty damn awesome actually.  They did a killer job and I swear there was one kid there that sings AC/DC better than AC/DC!






Food:
120 oz of water
1 cup of coffee w/creamer
1 granola bar (breakfast)
3 whitefish seviche tacos (basically pico w/chunks of whitefish in it)
1 can hearts of palm (snack)
3 chicken soft tacos (from cook this not that)
1 cup homemade fruit shake
1 cup popcorn (dry)
---------------------------------------------
Daily Caloric Intake: 996





Activity:
Yoga: 30 minutes
Walking w/Snackers & dogs: 3 miles

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will be able to grow your own vegetables soon. If you could can and freeze some of what you grow you can have that summer taste all year 'round. It's a lot of work but you know how it's been grown. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a garden but every thing that I have ever tried to grow I've killed. I have the most un-green thumb in the world. I'd probably even forget to water the animals if they didn't remind me. lol

    ReplyDelete