Sunday, December 18, 2011


Well I've been saying ALL year that I was going to do the darned Rock n' Roll marathon here in Vegas.  Then I realized I couldn't justify the entrance fee and swore I would do my own, free version instead.  Well the Rock n' Roll marathon came and went two weeks ago so yesterday I did my damndest to keep my promise.

I got up, fed Vladdy an egg on his breakfast because I wanted him to have lots of calories and protein for the walk (of course, he had to go with me).  I told myself I needed to do the same as well but my motivation to eat was very low, causing me to get out of here later in the morning than I would have liked.  Eventually I had a fiber one bar, a scrambled egg with feta cheese, and a cup of coffee.  I also downed some water, filled up my water belt, stuffed a fruit bar in my pocket and off we went.  The community I live in is in a loop that is 1.2 miles long and the distance from my front door to the start of the loop is 0.3 miles.  I sent text messages to my mom with each lap and she kept me motivated and offered support as I walked.  I wanted to get pictures for you but I didn't have anyone to take them (Snackers was at work) ... sorry.

10:53 a.m. - Left the house and started out.
11:21 a.m. - I had done 1.5 miles (one lap plus distance to the loop)
11:49 a.m. - Another 1.5 miles (had to go home to use the potty)
11:53 a.m. - Left the house and started out again
12:22 p.m. - Another 1.5 miles (up to 4.5 total)
12:45 p.m. - Another lap around the loop, 5.7 miles total
  1:09 p.m. - Another lap around the loop, 6.9 miles total
Inhaled my fruit bar and watered both myself and Vladdy while walking.
  1:41 p.m. - Another 1.5 miles (up to 8.4 total)
Had to head home to drop Vladdy off because he was literally dragging his feet.  I was also very hungry so I took a minute to eat some carrots and peanut butter, as well as a snack bar, fill up my water, and gave Vladdy a scoop of food also.  Then headed out again.
  2:05 p.m. - Left the house and started out again.
  2:23 p.m. - Moving a lot slower, calves started cramping.  I kept telling myself if I kept moving they would loosen back up again.
  2:28 p.m. - 13 miles is now out of the question.  Cramps have turned into full blown charlie horses in both legs and, at this point, I'm just trying to get myself back home.
  2:36 p.m. - Made it to the end of the loop (9.9 miles), now just have to make it home from the loop ... this is around the time where I started crying from the pain.  I couldn't help it.
  2:43 p.m. - Finally made it home.

I took off my water belt and jacket, leaving them in the middle of the dining room floor, as I headed for the fridge to grab the tonic water and then straight for the tub.  After about 3 chugs of tonic, and a 30 minute soak in the hottest water I could endure, while massaging my legs, and three ibuprofin, I started to feel better.  Around 4:45 p.m. I went for another half-mile walk around Rodeo Park, just to keep the legs loose.  About half-way through the walk I heard a woman shouting, turned around just in time to see a big boxer dog breeze past me at a dead run with the shouting woman behind him.  I took off running after him and after about a half-block he turned around and did a play bow.  Whenever Vladdy gets off leash we can turn and actually run away from him and he'll chase us - which is how we catch him.  The play bow was a dead giveaway that the dog thought he was having fun, so I turned and ran in the opposite direction and sure as shit it worked.  He ran right up to me.

Then Snackers came home and offered to take me out to celebrate the walk.  We went to dinner (meatball sandwich) and then ended up Christmas shopping at the mall, Big 5, CVS, and Kohl's.  Chalk up another few miles ... wish I'd been wearing my pedometer.  We got home around 11:00 and I did 30 minutes of yoga before bed.

Total intake was 1,560.  Water intake was high but I lost exact count.

I didn't exactly make it to the finish line in time but I did do the distance - it just took me all day.  I'm feeling pretty good about it, even if it was hard to get out of bed this morning.


  1. W O W! YOU DID AWESOME!!! Way more then I would even attempt to do in one day!!! KICK ASS! :) You rock my socks! (if I was wearing any lol) Well I don't know if you read about the cluster F that the RR was but you missed a huge f up being cheap. LOL Which is a good thing. :)

    I totally know that bow and our beagle boy is like that. He won't bow but his little ass will go up to anyone that whistles or claps when we are chasing him if he is loose.

  2. Honestly when I came home after 10.2 with those Charlie horses I didn't think I'd walk again for at least three days but a scalding hot bath, a cup of diet tonic water, massaging them, and then yoga they were almost like brand new. They hurt when I got up this morning but I repeated the previous prescription and felt good again. My biggest problem is that the insides of my thighs are bruised, literally bruised and that's something only time can heal.

  3. Hahaha! Funny story. I'm sure you're going to pay for it by tomorrow.


    Good job, BTW.

  4. thats something to be proud of!! good job!!

  5. Swan: He comes off that way sometimes but throughout my life, in whatever I've done (dumb or not) he's always been my greatest source of inspiration, motivation, and clarity. I'm an exceptionally lucky little sister. We tease each other but he's the type of person that would give the shirt off of his back to someone that really needed it, just like his dad.

    Thanks Anon! I am proud. I was disappointed when I first came home with the charlies but that disappointment became motivation to go back out again.

  6. Oh I figured he was like that. It was said laughingly. :)